Shrimp Banh Mi Sandwich
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 1/2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
3/4 teaspoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient note)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 12-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed (see Tip)
18 thin slices cucumber
3 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
1. Place carrot and vinegar in a small bowl; stir to combine. Let marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
2. Place cilantro, mayonnaise, yogurt, fish sauce, lime juice and cayenne in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Spread 2 teaspoons of this sauce on the bottom half of each baguette. Add shrimp to the remaining sauce; toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon, divide carrot among the baguettes (discard vinegar). Top with shrimp, cucumber and scallions. Cut each baguette into two 6-inch sandwiches.
Ingredient Note: Fish sauce: A pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
Tip: To defrost frozen shrimp, place in a colander under cold running water until thawed.
Courtesy of www.fitnessmagazine.com
Carefree summer days may be behind us, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get excited to go back to school…after all, it means back to volleyball! Here is a puzzle to get your brain back into the swing of things. Plus it is volleyball themed = bonus! Enjoy it now or save it for the bus ride to your first away game!
Volleyball Jobs, the Word Search!
Yoga For Athletes from Oxygen Fitness Magazine
Many of you are battling soreness and stress from tryouts and preseason. Add to that the start of school, moving into dorms and diving into homework…well, the stress can add up! Give yoga a try. Many college athletic programs – from football to volleyball – have added yoga stretching to workouts. There are so many benefits to yoga, especially for volleyball players! Different ways to stretch those hard to get to muscles as well as taking a few minutes of quiet time, can help improve flexibility and decrease stretch. Add a few to your stretching routines!
Take a look a look at this this awesome article from Oxygen Women’s Fitness Magazine for simple yet effective poses:
Yoga For Athletes – Oxygen Women’s Fitness.
Turkey and Tomato Panini
3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 slices whole-wheat bread
8 ounces thinly sliced reduced-sodium deli turkey
8 tomato slices
2 teaspoons canola oil
1. Have four 15-ounce cans and a medium skillet (not nonstick) ready by the stove.
2. Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, Parmesan, basil, lemon juice and pepper in a small bowl. Spread about 2 teaspoons of the mixture on each slice of bread. Divide turkey and tomato slices among 4 slices of bread; top with the remaining bread.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 panini in the pan. Place the medium skillet on top of the panini, then weigh it down with the cans. Cook the panini until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the panini, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1 teaspoon oil and the remaining panini.
Courtesy of www.fitnessmagazine.com.
Keep an eye out for a new post or recipe on Tasty Tuesdays. Food for athletes, healthy snacks on the go, and more!!
We can hardly believe that Fall Volleyball is upon us. It always seems like it sneaks up. So in a tribute to summer and sand, here is a simple yet powerful quote with a picture worthy of a daydream. Let’s kick it into gear, have some fun, work harder than ever, and get ready for another chapter in our volleyball careers!
Get up, get going and get sweaty! Look cute during your workout this Wednesday or use this shirt for your cool-down on the way out of the gym.
Get yours today here at http://www.allvolleyball.com